Wednesday 11 July 2012

The last flight of a real Ace...


This is crazy, what the hell are you thinking, you can't possibly do this, and there is absolutely no way in hell that you will be able to do justice to this post. These were some of the first few thoughts in my head as I decided to blog about one of my greatest role models, Werner Voss.

             
             








                 I am pretty sure that you haven’t heard much of this guy unless you share my enthusiasm for vintage fighter aircraft and the men who flew them. Voss was probably one of the pioneers in the field of dog fighting, one of the very first dog fighters. He was a personal friend and competitor to Manfred von Richthofen (some of you may know him better as The Red Baron, the greatest pilot of his era) and it is the general view that had he not met his death the way he did, he might have been able to end World War 1 as the greatest flying ace. I understand that most of the information on this pilot can be found on his Wikipedia page, so I’ll not go too much into the stats or his performance in the war. He was a pilot of the German empire who was awarded the Pour le Mérite (also called the Blue Max which sounds a lot cooler), the Iron Cross and numerous other medals for his bravery and for his aerial kills that stood at an impressive 48 (second only to the baron) before he fell in combat.

                     What I do want to talk about, and share my thought on is the way this guy decided to meet his maker, his last dog-fight. It was the 23rd of September 1917, Voss had already claimed a kill this day but decided to go out on another patrol and ran into a flight of the elite 56th squadron of the RAF. This squadron was one of the most distinguished flying groups in the entire war and each and every one of the RAF pilots in the pack attacking Voss was an ace. The dog-fight lasted for only 10 minutes but any WW1 historian worth his salt will tell you that it was one of the greatest displays of bravery and air combat put up by the Germans. The Brits were flying the SE5s and Voss was in a Fokker F1 triplane, the latter having a clear advantage in speed and rate of climb. This meant that Voss could have escaped from the fight if he wanted to and there was no way that the Brits could keep up with him, but for the better or worse, Voss never really knew how to run away from a fight. He took the English head on and for the 10 minutes before being shot, he gave them the scare of a lifetime. The fight has been well described in the video links given below and I would really appreciate it if you took some time to look them through.















                    I guess it’s just me, but I feel that there’s just this sort of awe about these men and the machines they flew. The way they find the courage to go up against the greatest of odds and do it with a smile on their lips and a glint in their eyes. Could Voss have survived if he had decided to run? Possibly, would I have run if I was in his position? Definitely, but that’s not the kind of attitude that a real fighter pilot has, give him his wings and he will command the skies. There’s no fear in their hearts, there’s no care in their eyes, just an undying joy of doing what they do best, and that’s to take to the skies and give hope to the men in the trenches and the mud. Here are the men, no different from you, but at the same time very different. Think of them as angels on your shoulder, angels who will fly above you, fight above you and die before you just so that you may have that little extra help that in the battlefield can mean life or death. Voss was one of the best pilots to have ever graced the skies, but he was not alone, he belonged to an elite group of knights who took the skies and gave hope to that little boy standing in a field in his village, they said don’t worry, fear not the enemy’s artillery, fear not the thousands that march against us. I have my wings and I have my guns, and you have my word, I shall defend our skies and defend our freedom till my guns stop shooting or my heart stops beating. These are the words Winston Churchill had for the pilots who flew in the second Great War, and I quote “Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few”.

No comments:

Post a Comment